Historical details were provided by Katy Canales of the V&A Museum, Rosemary Hawthorn, Camilla Blois of Lucile & Co., fashion historian Amber Butchart, designer Elizabeth Eldimaa, Anthropology Research Fellow Kaori O'Connor.
The Great British Sewing Bee - Location - Season Four
Season 4 of the BBC reality television series, The Great British Sewing Bee, was filmed in 2016 in a former tannery, 47-49 Tanner Street, London, SE1 3PL, which once supplied clothing manufacturers across Britain and the British Empire.
The contestants in The Great British Sewing Bee Season Four include:
- Angeline - Angeline Murphy, a newly-wed events manager, from a farming background in Northern Ireland, who made all the bridesmaid dresses for her own wedding.
- Charlotte - Dr Charlotte Newland, a married mum of three, with a PhD in Osteology and the editor of a medical journal, who has been sewing since the age of 7. Finalist.
- Duncan - Duncan Carter, a maths tutor who began sewing three years ago.
- Ghislaine - Ghislaine Gazon, born in Paris, an office manager in London, who grew up in Martinique and ran activities at the local orphanage with her sister.
- Jade - Jade Earley, from Eastbourne, the youngest sewer, at 18 years of age, a former Olympic swimming hopeful before injury ended her career, who has three younger siblings and has been sewing since the age of 14. Finalist.
- Jamie - Jamie Kemp, from Exeter, an ex-teacher and stay-at-home Dad to his deaf son, Harry. He met his wife when they were teaching at the same school. He makes all his own shirts and jackets.
- Josh - Josh Barnett, who plays football for Cardiff Metropolitan University and who taught himself sewing following his mother's gift of a sewing machine.
- Joyce - Joyce Bellingham, 71 year old grandmother of nine, a former school admissions officer who retired in 2012 and who has been married for 50 years, having met her husband while learning to fly a glider. Finalist.
- Rumana - Rumana Lasker, a junior doctor living in East London who has been sewing since she was seven years old.
- Tracey - Tracey Symonds, mum of two and retired primary school teacher who lives in Derbyshire with husband Chris.
The contestants were challenged to make a woman's top cut on the bias, a skirt, a babygrow, a woollen child's cape, a bra, a Chinese Qipao-style top, an African-inspired wax print fabric dress, a colour block 1960's shift dress, a 1960's inspired jacket, a men's Lycra cycling jacket, an asymmetric yoked skirt inspired by modern Japanese pattern cutting, a dress from a self-drafted pattern,
they are also required to make alterations, to a maternity dress, a bridesmaid's dress, a scarf, a sari, a PVC raincoat, a 1980's ski suit, a duvet cover.